City beats Spurs to edge closer to title

Laverne Higgins
April 16, 2018

Manchester City drew an emphatic line under a hard week by moving to within one win of the Premier League title with a 3-1 victory over Tottenham.

Manchester City moved to the brink of the English Premier League title after beating Tottenham Hotspur 3-1 at Wembley on Saturday.

As for City, being a whole 16 points ahead of United means that if the Red Devils lose or draw their home game against bottom of the table West Brom tomorrow, City will be crowned champions. Three points against City would be critical for that plight.

But an impressive 14-game unbeaten run in the league - going back to the reverse fixture at City in December - is over.

After sweeping through most of the season in regal fashion, City had crashed down to earth with a bump over the last 10 days.

Pep Guardiola's side are looking to return to winning ways after defeat by Manchester United last weekend and being knocked out of the Champions League in midweek by Liverpool. Just 24 hours later, with Guardiola claiming he would be on the golf course, City were teeing off for a title party.

The England winger was involved in a footrace with Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris and the France captain lost out.

Gabriel Jesus stroked home to put City in front after a free-flowing start before the visitors doubled their lead from a controversial penalty.

Brush fire spreads to garage, quickly extinguished
Linsenbigler said there were no people or livestock injured in the brush fire, and buildings in the area were unaffected. It took firefighters from five departments just over three hours to put out the fire, which burned about 7 acres.

Most of their goals this season have come with a flourish, but for once City took a more direct approach. Manchester City showed why they are the best.

Tottenham were one of the teams that troubled City last season, with their aggressive pressing and high-tempo play.

While it was a clear foul, the contact appeared to be made just outside the area, yet, to Tottenham's fury, Jonathan Moss awarded a penalty that Gundogan slotted home easily.

However, Olivier Giroud came off the bench to finally kickstart his Chelsea career with his first two Premier League goals for the club either side of Eden Hazard's leveller.

Again, a Tottenham player was fortunate not see red when Ben Davies' nasty challenge on Kompany went unpunished, much to the skipper's understandable chagrin.

Harry Kane was lampooned in some quarters for making what was perceived as a slightly greedy, if successful, appeal to have Tottenham's second goal at Stoke last weekend credited to him instead of Eriksen.

Christian Eriksen reduced the arrears in fortunate circumstances, his initial shot blocked by Aymeric Laporte before deflecting back off the Dane and past the stranded Ederson, with Sterling adding the third in the second-half.

City regained control after half-time and should have been out of sight as Jesus scuffed badly wide and Sterling fared no better with a woeful close-range miss.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article