NYPD detective killed, sergeant wounded in shooting in Queens

Nellie Chapman
February 13, 2019

"Make no mistake about it - friendly fire aside - it is because of the actions of the suspect that Detective Simonsen is dead", he said. "The officers then entered the store and immediately saw a man fitting the description of the suspect emerge from the back pointing at them what appeared to be a handgun".

Investigators look over the area after a few New York City police officers were shot while responding to a robbery at a T-Mobile store in the Queens borough of N.Y., on February 12, 2019.

One of the suspects - a 27-year-old "career criminal" - was shot "multiple times" and critically wounded in the hail of at least a dozen bullets. The detective and sergeant fired, and as they were leaving the store, the detective was apparently shot by uniformed officers. Simonsen was considered a leader among his peers, Mr. Paladino said.

Ransom was taken to the hospital where he will later be released into police custody.

O'Neill said a sergeant, who has been on the force for 8 and a half years, was also wounded and is in stable condition.

Mayor Bill de Blasio and police officials are expected to speak to reporters at the hospital Tuesday night.

"No sirens, guys", the dispatcher warns. The two were on duty and happened to be nearest to the scene when the call came in.

Column Hendrick sends statement with sweep to open Daytona
Byron recently turned 21 and begins his second season with Knaus, who split with Johnson after 17 years. Knaus' and Byron's pole didn't come with the controversy that accompanied Johnson's victory.

Sources said the detective confronted the perpetrator and was shot in the chest and the sergeant was shot in the hip.

The detective, identified as Brian Simonsen of the of the 102nd Precinct's detective squad, was apparently hit by so-called friendly fire when several officers opened fire on an armed suspect, according to Commissioner James O'Neill. Some walked together in a line, searching for evidence.

Michael Paladino, president of the Detectives' Endowment Association, said at the press conference that he had seen Det. "His mom, who has suffered so much".

In 2009, Simonsen investigated the death of an 11-month old boy who drowned in a bucket of water at an unlicensed daycare while the woman running it was passed out on NyQuil. "The shock that they are feeling was so painful to see".

"Shots fired! Shots fired!" an officer is heard yelling.

Police were responding to a call about an armed robbery at the phone store in Richmond Hill just before 6.15pm when a gun battle broke out, sources told the New York Daily News.

Brian Simonsen is the first NY police officer to die in the line of duty since July 2017. "That bravery and resolve is something we all need to understand".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article