2nd mosque shooting reported in New Zealand

Nellie Chapman
March 15, 2019

Mario Villavarayen, strength and conditioning coach of the Bangladesh cricket team said the players were shaken up, but fine.

The Bangladesh cricket team were able to escape unhurt after a gunman targeted a mosque they had visited in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday.

The Associated Press reported "multiple fatalities", and media in New Zealand also reported a shooting at a second mosque in a central Chrischurch suburb.

Police have confirmed they are responding to a "critical incident".

Residents have been asked to remain indoors and report suspicious behaviour.

An eyewitness told Radio New Zealand he heard shots fired and four people were lying on the ground, with "blood everywhere".

Player Tamim Iqbal tweeted that it was a "frightening experience" and that there were "active shooters".

Media reported that a gunman opened fire inside mosque in Christchurch's Hagley Park district.

Sarri hails Loftus-Cheek after Chelsea rout: Could be best in Europe
Chelsea are now in the final eight of the Europa League , as they look to win the competition at the second time of asking. Physically, technically and tactically he is improving.

The Guardian went on to report that Christchurch Hospital was on lockdown - that hospital is located approximately two kilometres from the mosque.

The players made their way to the dressing rooms at the ground, where they are in lockdown while discussions take place between Bangladesh and New Zealand cricket officials.

Bangladesh have been touring New Zealand since last month.

"I spoke to one of them shortly after [the incident]".

A reporter at the scene said people at the cordon were hugging as they passed through the tape. "Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says it's "one of New Zealand's darkest days", according to an AP post on Twitter.

The Bangladesh team's analyst Shrinivas Chandrasekaran added: "Just escaped active shooters".

A Black Caps spokesman told the Herald nine of the team members live in Christchurch and are now at home with their families. "Frightening experience and please keep us in your prayers", he wrote.

Sabir Hussain, who was inside Linwood Mosque, said he was "doing a prayer when our Imam (the leader of a mosque) said our brothers have been shot".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article