Europe reports first coronavirus fatality, after Chinese tourist's death in France

Nellie Chapman
February 15, 2020

French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn said an elderly Chinese tourist treated in a hospital in France became the first death to the virus in Europe, Reuters reported on Saturday.

It's understood she had been in France since January 16.

The death was confirmed by the French health minister this morning, but no further details about the victim have been revealed.

Despite the rise in deaths, China said the 2,641 new cases reported in the 24 hours to midnight on Friday represented a "major drop" in new cases.

Samsung Galaxy S20 sales could beat 2019 models, a new report suggests
The new price cut occurs only weeks after Samsung lowered the price of the 3GB RAM + 32GB storage model of the Galaxy A20s. On the rear, there is a 13MP sensor with an LED flash along with 8MP ultra-wide-angle lens and 5MP depth sensor.


France has recorded 11 cases of the virus, out of a global total of nearly 67,000.

The epidemic has killed nearly 1,400 people.

Around 600 cases have been confirmed outside mainland China and until now there had been three deaths - in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Japan. He was hospitalised at Bichat with strict isolation measures on 25 January.

On Friday, the first COVID-19 infection was reported in Africa when Egypt confirmed a case.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER