Two Indians confirmed with coronavirus in Japans quarantined cruise ship

Nellie Chapman
February 14, 2020

U.S. company Princess Cruise Lines Ltd., the operator of the Diamond Princess, had earlier said 66 new cases of the virus originating in the central Chinese city of Wuhan were confirmed, but the ministry said there could be some overlap in the operator's figures.

The company's Diamond Princess ship was placed in quarantine upon arriving in Yokohama, south of Tokyo, on February 3, after a man who disembarked in Hong Kong was diagnosed with the virus.

'Request to India government to rescue total 160 Indian crew from ship.

Among the new 65 cases are 45 Japanese and 11 Americans, Japan's health ministry said.

Some experts questioned whether the cruise ship quarantine was doing more harm than good.

"Out of 53 new test results, 39 people were found positive", he told reporters, adding that a quarantine official had also been infected with the virus.

With 174 confirmed cases, the ship that arrived with over 3,700 passengers and crew has become the largest single cluster of the newly named COVID-19 virus outside its origin in China, where it has killed more than 1,100.

Man due in court charged with murder of Lyra McKee
McKee, 29, was shot dead while reporting on riots in Londonderry, April 18, 2019, in the heavily Catholic Creggan neighbourhood. Yesterday afternoon, one of those arrested, a 52-year-old man from Derry, was charged with Ms McKee's murder.


"Since it is early in the quarantine period of 14-days, it was not unexpected that additional cases would be reported involving individuals who were exposed prior to the start of the quarantine", the statement said.

Another Canadian has contracted the novel coronavirus aboard a quarantined cruise ship in Japan.

He was not diagnosed with coronavirus until he left the ship on January 25.

Passengers stand on the deck of the Diamond Princess cruise ship anchored at Yokohama Port in Yokohama, near Tokyo, Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2020.

Despite the anxiety on board, one passenger praised the Italian captain for keeping stress levels manageable aboard the ship. Four were in serious condition, Health Minister Katsunobu Kato said. For the latest coronavirus travel and safety information, visit the FOC website. The ship will remain in port for several days for disembarkation, and passengers will be allowed to go ashore, the company said. At least two report back to us on Facebook that they are symptom-free, ' added the man, who declined to be identified.

The coronavirus outbreak originated in central China's Hubei province in December a year ago.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER