Missing teenager Harley Dilly found dead in chimney

Nellie Chapman
January 15, 2020

Nearly four weeks after 14-year-old Harley Dilly disappeared while walking to school, officials in Port Clinton, Ohio, said his body was found trapped inside the chimney of a vacant home.

Dilly was last seen leaving for school on in the town of Port Clinton on December 20, sometime between 6 and 7 a.m.

In a news conference Tuesday, Port Clinton Police Chief Rob Hickman said Harley Dilly's death was accidental and foul play does not appear to be a factor. His coat and glasses were pushed through the flue and onto the floor.

Port Clinton police, the coroner and BCI are at the scene.

There were no signs of forced entry to the house, and there was a lockbox for keys, Hickman said.

"With any investigation, we start back from the beginning and re-canvassed everything that has already been checked", Hickman said.

The chimney was blocked between the first and second floors, and Harley became trapped inside.

On Tuesday the Amber Alert was cancelled because the "child has been recovered", according to the Ohio Attorney General's office.

Ranked: Barcelona open record gap over Real Madrid in Deloitte Money League
However, United could slip next year due to a lack of Champions League measures this season. For more insights, check out the Deloitte Money League here.

Since his disappearance, thousands of flyers have been distributed across the state and country.

Since then, volunteers and authorities searched through nearby neighborhoods along Lake Erie with help from K-9 teams and helicopters.

No foul play was expected, Dilly's death is believed to have been an accident.

Hickman stated police and investigators found Dilly after they wanted to search the area again.

Detectives told Live PD on A&E that Harley had a strict schedule for eating foods, he bathed several times a day and often stayed around his home.

Hickman previously said Harley's family has fully cooperated throughout the investigation and quashed suggestions that they were involved in his disappearance.

Officers who responded to the home had to calm the boy down but gave no additional information about the incident.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article